Mental Health Care
SFHP works with a company called Beacon Health Options (“Beacon”) to provide mild to moderate mental health services. Some examples are:
- Psychotherapy (individual and group mental health assessment and treatment). These services can include counseling from a therapist. Sometimes these services are available at your primary care clinic.
- Psychological testing when needed to assess a mental health issue.
- Outpatient services that include lab work, drugs, and supplies.
- Psychiatry assessment for medications.
Behavioral Health Treatment for Medi-Cal Members Under Age 21
San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) members under the age of 21 have access to Behavioral Health Treatment (BHT) services. BHT includes Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and other services that have been reviewed and have been shown to work.
ABA is a therapy that can help children with autism and some other behavior issues. ABA can help children with communication, social skills, recall, and attention. ABA providers work with families to help their children. A doctor must write a referral for BHT or ABA care.
A member may qualify for Behavioral Health Treatment (BHT) if they meet the below criteria:
- Under 21 years of age.
- Have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder or other behavioral issues.
- Have behaviors that make home or social life hard. Some examples are anger, violence, self-harm, running away, problems playing or communicating.
You do not need a referral to get Mental Health Services. You can call Beacon Health Options to learn more or get an appointment at 1(855) 371-8117 or beaconhealthoptions.com.