PGY1 Managed Care Pharmacy Residency Program
SFHP is a growing organization with a patient-centered culture that supports my passion for innovative care models. I truly enjoy the opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary team of pharmacists, physicians, nurses and social workers to deliver the best care for our patients.
— Kendrix Nguyen, PGY1 Managed Care Pharmacy Resident (2014-2015)
San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is a licensed community health plan that provides affordable health care coverage to over 145,000 low and moderate-income families. Members have access to a full spectrum of medical services including preventive care, specialty care, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and family planning services. SFHP was designed by and for the residents it serves, and takes great pride in its ability to accommodate a diverse population that includes young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
The San Francisco Health Plan PGY1 residency program will provide residents with experience using managed care pharmacy principles to provide quality, cost-effective care in a managed healthcare Medicaid setting. Clinical and analytic skills will be used to improve patient outcomes, create and implement pharmacy based initiatives and policies, and collaborate with providers in the community to coordinate care. Residents will benefit from experience in formulary management, pharmacy and therapeutics meeting preparation and participation, quality improvement, vendor management (PBM and specialty pharmacy), pharmacy benefit design and team based care. Residents will also gain tools to excel in leadership and business management.
- Evaluate patient care effectiveness with cross departmental collaboration.
- Establish quality management procedures with third party vendors.
- Develop strategies for determining compliance within delegated groups
- Conduct medication safety interventions and evaluate relevant studies to make evidence-based clinical decisions.
- Participate in quarterly P&T, formulary updates and communicate changes to all parties.
- Develop skills to manage and organize large projects.
Learning Experiences (Core Training Themes)
- Clinical programs
- Vendor Management
- Leadership and Business Management
- Drug Information
- Formulary Development/Management
- Project Management
Application and Additional Information
- US Citizen
- Pharm. D or B.S. in Pharmacy
- California Licensure or eligible candidate
- Background Check
- Letter of Intent
- Official Transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation/holiday leave, long term disability coverage, workman’s comp.
- Conference attendance
Dates of Residency
July 1 – June 30
Note: SFHP participates in the ASHP National Matching Service.