Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS)
Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS) is a daytime health program for older adults and adults with disabilities. CBAS helps you keep your independence and live on your own terms. You can go to a CBAS Center at no-cost to prevent going to the hospital in the future or being put into a nursing home.
Talk to your Primary Care Provider (PCP) to get started with CBAS. Your PCP can refer you to the CBAS Center of your choice and in your language. Find a CBAS Center by calling SFHP Customer Service 1(415) 547-7800, TTY 1(888) 883-7347.
Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS) Frequently Asked Questions
Please read the questions and answers below to learn more about the CBAS program.
What is the Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS) program?
CBAS gives you important health care services at a local community center. This means you can stay where you live, and you don’t have to move to a nursing home.
What services can I get?
- Nursing services — to observe and monitor your health and medicines, and supervise your personal care
- Personal care/social services — to help you with hygiene and other daily tasks
- Physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy
- Recreational and therapeutic activities – this includes art, games, group walks, and more
- Meal service — to serve you at least one meal per day at the center
- Transportation — to and from the CBAS center, as necessary
Who is eligible for CBAS?
To be eligible for CBAS, you must:
- Be an SFHP member
- Be 18 years old or older
- Have a physical, behavioral, or memory problem
- Need to live in a long-term care facility if you do not get CBAS services
How do I receive CBAS?
We want to make sure you get services you are eligible for and that we have all of the information about your health. The steps below explain how we decide if you are eligible for CBAS:
- Talk to your doctor or call SFHP’s Customer Service department.
- An in-person meeting will be scheduled with a nurse to see if you qualify for CBAS. SFHP works with nurses from Institute on Aging (IOA).
What if I am not eligible for CBAS?
If you are not eligible for CBAS, our case management staff can work with you to find services in the community to meet your health care needs.
Do I have to pay for CBAS?
No, CBAS services are covered by SFHP.
Can I continue to see my Medicare provider if I receive CBAS from SFHP?
Yes. If you have both Medicare and Medi-Cal, you can continue to see your Medicare providers while receiving CBAS from SFHP.
Bayview Hunters Point Adult Day Health Center
1250 La Salle Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94124
Circle of Friends
1550 Steiner Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Golden State CBAS
738 La Playa Street, San Francisco, CA 94121
L’Chaim Adult Day Health Center
2534 Judah Street, San Francisco, CA 94122
Self-Help for the Elderly
408 22nd Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94121
SteppingStone – Golden Gate Day Health
350 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102
SteppingStone – Mabini Day Health
55 Mabini Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
SteppingStone – Mission Creek Day Health
930 4th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158
SteppingStone – Presentation Day Health
301 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94102