Information and Support for Staying Safe and Healthy
Reasons to Meet with Your Primary Care Provider (PCP)
- Your Primary Care Provider is the doctor, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant who is in charge of your health care.
- Your PCP gets to know you and what your health is normally like. This makes them a better partner to help you make health decisions.
- You can ask your PCP any questions about your health.
- You can get help with both short-term health issues and chronic health conditions, like diabetes and heart disease.
- Your PCP helps with all your health care needs, like arranging for special doctors when you need it.
- Regular visits with your PCP can help cut down on emergency room visits and hospital stays.
Health Visits, Tests, and Shots
Your health and well-being are our top priority at the San Francisco Health Plan.
Below are some of the health visits and tests SFHP covers to support your health.
- Ask what tests and shots are right for you
- Eyesight and hearing tests
- Pap test (cervical cancer screening for people with a cervix) every 3-5 years for ages 21-64
- Any vaccines you may need
- Testing for HIV, Hepatitis C, and other infectious diseases
At Any Age
- Chlamydia check each year if you are younger than 25 and sexually active
- HPV vaccine if you are age 26 or younger (3 doses total)
- Cholesterol check every 5 years if you are over age 45
- Colon cancer test if you are age 50-75
- Breast/chest cancer screening every 2 years if you are age 50-69
- Zoster vaccine at age 50
- Bone density testing starting at age 65