Interpreter services information
- Medical groups are required to provide this service to SFHP Medi-Cal members.
- Non-English speaking or limited English proficient Medi-Cal members have the right to receive oral interpreter services on a 24-hour basis at no cost to them.
- Interpreter services may be provided through an in-person interpreter or telephone language service.
- Provider offices must document a member’s preferred language (if other than English) in the medical record.
- Provider offices must document the request and refusal of language/interpretation services in the member’s medical record.
- Provider offices must discourage members from using friends, family, and minors as interpreters.
- Options for accessing interpreter services in the Bay Area for your patients
- Tips on working with interpreters
SFHP provides written materials in the language the member prefers at no cost. Our materials are regularly available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Russian. If you need materials in another language please contact Customer Service at 1(800) 288-5555, Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm.
Materials in alternate formats
We make member and enrollee information available to the visually impaired in alternate formats upon request, at no cost. To request alternate format materials such as: Braille, audio, and large print, please contact Customer Service at 1(800) 288-5555, Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm.
If you are hearing impaired, please call the TDD/TTY line at 1(415) 547-7830, toll-free at 1(888) 883-7347 or through the California Relay Service at 711. You may request this document in alternative formats like Braille, large size print, and audio. To request other formats, or for help with reading this document and other San Francisco Health Plan materials, please call Customer Service at 1(415) 547-7800 or toll-free at 1(800) 288-5555.