Behavioral and Mental Health Services
Mental Health Care
Do you need someone to talk to?
SFHP works with a company called Carelon Behavioral Health (“Carelon”) to provide outpatient mild to moderate mental health services, such as:
- Individual and group mental health assessment and treatment (psychotherapy). These services can include counseling from a therapist. Sometimes these services are available at your primary care clinic.
- Psychological testing when needed to assess a mental health issue
- Outpatient services that include lab work, drugs, and supplies
- Psychiatry assessment for medications
You do not need a referral to get Mental Health Services. You can call Carelon Behavioral Health to learn more or get an appointment at 1(855) 371-8117 or carelonbehavioralhealth.com.
|Carelon Provider Search
Treatment for Alcohol and Substance Use Problems
Your primary care provider may screen you for alcohol or drug use and provide brief counseling to help you if you have a problem. Your primary care provider is the doctor, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant who is in charge of your health care.
Your provider may also refer you to the San Francisco County Community Behavioral Health Services (CBHS) for more alcohol and drug use treatment services.
You do not need a referral from your provider.
If you feel you need help with alcohol or drug use, you can contact the CBHS Access Help Line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1(415) 255-3737 or 1(888) 246-3333 toll free. If you are hearing-impaired, you may call CBHS’ TDD line at 1(888) 484-7200.
Behavioral Health Treatment for Medi-Cal Members Under Age 21
San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) members under the age of 21 have access to
Behavioral Health Treatment (BHT) services. BHT includes Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and other services that have been reviewed and have been shown to work.
ABA is a therapy that can help children with autism and some other behavior issues.
ABA can help children with communication, social skills, recall, and attention. ABA providers work with families to help their children. A doctor must write a referral for BHT or ABA care.
A member may qualify for Behavioral Health Treatment (BHT) if they meet the below criteria:
- Under 21 years of age
- Have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder or other behavioral issues
- Have behaviors that make home or social life hard. Some examples are anger, violence, self-harm, running away, problems playing or communicating.
Talk to your child’s doctor about ABA therapy for autism and other behavioral issues. You may also call Carelon Behavioral Health at 1(855) 371-8117 to learn more.